In ISTE article “Points/Counterpoint: Should Students Use
the Internet while Taking Test?” We
got to read about James Cash and Jeffrey Starrs two opposing views to using the
Internet while testing. Cash was in favor of the Internet while Starr was
not. While I had not given this
issue much thought until recently I saw valid points from both sides.
This summer I took my first online class where all of our
testing was done online. Coming from a background where this never took place I
found it to be very odd. How effortless it was to just reference a book or
check something online before submitting an answer. I remember actually
thinking to myself how much easier it would have been to got my degree if it
were all done online. (Although I do not think I would have the patience to sit
at my computer all day…). In Cash’s article he discussed how the Internet
should be allowed and that it would lead to a higher-level of thinking. I do
believe in what he is saying. When students are required to memorize dates,
places, names, reasons, etc… they often get lost in all of the small details. I
know what that is like, I did it plenty of times- memorize dates, places, and
reasons for a war, take a test, and forget it a week later. Cash’s belief is
that if we let students use the Internet they will be able to see the overall
bigger picture of the lesson and effectively analyze or criticize an event.
However, Cash’s argument lost me when he went on to describe
how those who do not believe that Internet should be used during testing do not
trust the learner and the purpose of learning. I disagree. Especially working
with children. At a young age often times children want to get things right to
impress others. Yes, they want to learn but if they have the power to memorize
something or look up an answer it is highly likely that they will pick to look
up an answer. With the Internet giving us access to look up any and all things
with the click of a button we are slowly fading into a stage of relying
primarily on technology. How many people use actual maps anymore? Not many. Most
just put the address in on their phone and boom they are where they want to be
without even really knowing how they got there.
Starrs stated “It creates an irresistible temptation to students to merely look for the answer rather than coming up with the answers on their own.” Going forward in my career, I would love to be able to integrate technology into some testing (on iPads, computers, etc…) However, I do not think that looking up answers on the Internet will play a big role. I believe it is important that students memorize the little details about a historic event or literature book that we had to when we were young. Many of those details play apart in our daily lives without us even realizing it.
Starrs stated “It creates an irresistible temptation to students to merely look for the answer rather than coming up with the answers on their own.” Going forward in my career, I would love to be able to integrate technology into some testing (on iPads, computers, etc…) However, I do not think that looking up answers on the Internet will play a big role. I believe it is important that students memorize the little details about a historic event or literature book that we had to when we were young. Many of those details play apart in our daily lives without us even realizing it.
I completely agree with you that there are valid points from each side of this issue. Starr and Cash both have valid points in their arguments. When you talked about how students just have to memorize dates and facts rather than analyzing an event or story I completely feel the same way. There were many times throughout my school years that I memorized the information I needed for the test and forgot it the week later. I do feel that the internet in this case, could help students analyze and dig deeper into a topic to give them a better understanding. However, I do feel like we rely on technology a little too much these days, like you mentioned about using maps. It is so simple to get where we want and what we want from technology that we are losing a lot of the important things. So, in the end I do believe computers and technology can be used during tests under certain circumstances but we should not completely rely on it for everything.
ReplyDeleteHannah, I agree with your statement about not trusting the students not being the issue here. I don't think I will be using the internet during testing, but it has nothing to do with trust and everything to do with wanting the students to KNOW important concepts and information. I too had many experiences where I had to memorize dates and names. I don't' plan on testing my students on their memorization per say, but there are certain things they need to store in their knowledge bank for further use in my class and in the future. I don't know how many times I had to "memorize" the krebs cycle, but I still wouldn't be able write it out by memory. I am glad you mentioned "the big picture" in your blog because I believe that is what teaching is coming around to.
ReplyDelete