Cal Poly is formally known as California
Polytechnic. This meaning technology was integrated into a lot of our learning
experience. Before walking into this class I thought I was pretty high up on
the technology continuum. Now, I am not so sure. However, I am fascinated by technology and
all that it has to offer. I have worked in schools where iPads, Smart Boards,
computers, etc… play a big part of the learning experience. I am confident in
saying that I truly believe it enhances the learning experience and prepares
students for “real life” work. A lot of what I learned through college I now
use today in my career. “Inspire reflective teaching and learning” is the line that sticks out most when I read the CSUSM/SOE Mission Statement. Inspiring others is a big part of why I want to become a teacher. At a young age I do not believe I had the most inspirational teachers (although I did have some) so I was never truly interested in school or learning. Towards the end of my high school experience and into college teachers pushed me to discover what interest me and discover what I wanted in life. I hope to do the same and more. I want to help students discover what they are passionate about at a young age and motivate and challenge students to reach their full potential. I believe that the experience I gain here through the credential program will help me in reaching my goal of being the best teacher that I can.
This is very interesting. I feel like I very rarely meet people native to San Diego here. I can only imagine how difficult that transition was from a private to a public school. Did you enjoy it? Was it your choice to do it? How did you experience at Cal Poly affect your opinion of the use of technology in the classroom? Did you find it consistently added to your learning? Or were there times when the teacher tried to hard to utilize something and it ended up being more distracting than anything? What did you study at Cal Poly?
ReplyDeleteIts nice that you had teachers that in high school pushed you to find what you enjoyed in life and to find a career there. I agree that it's very inspiring to have teachers like that in your life, and I also hope to at least do what they did for me and then some.
I enjoyed reading your blog and where you went to school. You bring an interesting perspective having received a Catholic education through 8th grade. I laughed when you mentioned that you often ran into somebody you knew in Fallbrook because it was a small community. I think I learned that we had some thing in common. You mentioned that you were never really interesting in school or learning and I mention on my blog that I don't ever really remember loving school. I wonder if other teachers feel the same way and if this motivates them to become teachers. Anyway, great start on the blog!
ReplyDeleteHannah, I am envious of your time in San Luis Obispo. I love the SLO area. You may find as I did that the teachers who didn't inspire or who I really didn't enjoy become a part of what informs your teaching. You can learn and use as much about why they were't great for you as much as you can those teachers who were. By already recognizing this, you are well on your way to a positive career in education.
ReplyDelete